http://http://www.biologycorner.com/worksheets/owlpellet.html
The topic that I found most interesting and fun to learn about this trimester was owl pellets. I really enjoyed discovering bones and other cool things. One fact that i learned about owl pellets was that they are masses of bone, teeth, hair, feathers and exoskeletons. They are all from the owl's prey. Another interesting fact that I learned is that owls eat early in the evening and about twenty hours later they regurgitate. Regurgitating is when the owl throws up the bones and feathers and teeth and other parts that the owl does not digest. The final fact that I find extremely interesting about owls is that they do not have any teeth. I find this amazing since their main foods are mice, rats and other animals. It seems pretty hard to believe that they do not have teeth to chew up their prey. Instead, they will swallow smaller prey whole. If their prey is large, owls will tear them into pieces before swallowing. One piece of information that I found on a website said that the pellet is stored in the gizzard. A gizzard is in the stomach. Another thing that I learned from this website is that regurgitation often means that the owl is ready to eat again. I really enjoyed this unit because I really liked learning about different bones and feathers. I a so glad we got to enjoy it this year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment